Apple Releases iOS 7.1
Today, Apple has released the final version of iOS 7.1 to consumers, following a very long period of beta testing. The update includes much-needed improvements for Touch ID, fixes several issues, and brings the long-rumoured CarPlay support to iOS.
The update also includes minor UI changes in iMessage, FaceTime, Phone app and much more. The shutdown slider has also been redesigned. Here is the list of all changes in the latest update:
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car's touchscreen, knobs, and buttons
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you're done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements
The update has been found to patch evasi0n's jailbreak and all kernel exploits. Apple has also launched Xcode 5.1 and an update to the Apple TV, which brings the ability to easily hide channels.
iOS 7.1 also includes support for two unannounced iPads, which are likely to be minor updates.
Apple has published a page detailing all the detail about the iOS 7.1 update on its website.